The Bible is the Word of God. Now as a Christian, you will need to learn and grow in your new relationship with God. This is where the Bible comes in. Jesus Himself said, “Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every Word that proceeds from the mouth of God” (Matthew 4:4). The Bible is composed of many different accounts, letters, and writings called the books of the Bible. There are sixty-six books altogether. These are divided into two major sections, the Old Testament and the New Testament. The books themselves are divided into sections, which are called chapters, and they are divided into verses. This was done so a person can locate specific Scriptures easier. Special notation is used to indicate exactly where you can find a verse in the Bible. For example; John 20:30, 31 means; the book of John, chapter twenty, verses thirty and thirty-one.
The men who wrote these books lived during different periods of history and in different places, writing as they were led by the Spirit of God. “And so we have the prophetic Word confirmed, which you do well to heed as a light that shines in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts; knowing this first, that no prophecy of Scripture is of any private interpretation, for prophecy never came by the will of man, but holy men of God spoke as they were moved by the Holy Spirit” (2 Peter 1:19-21). They were holy men who, inspired by the Holy Spirit, wrote God’s commands and eternal plans for man. So, what the Bible contains is God’s truth that came from God Himself.
Tips for Using the Bible
· Pray for understanding before and while you read the Bible.
· Use the Table of Contents to find the various books of the Bible.
· Locate a specific chapter and verse by looking at the top of the left and right pages in your Bible.
· Think about what you read, especially the thoughts that touched your heart. God will use His Word to speak to you.
· Ask yourself questions. Is there a promise for me, an action I should take, a truth I must learn, an example I should follow, or something I should pray about now?
· Underline and date important places so you can find them again easily.
· Believe, memorize and obey what God says!